Saturday, November 25, 2006

Thanksgiving Aftermath

So all is well here in the house of Teenuh. I lived through cooking for another Thanksgiving! I did have two last minute runs to the grocery store. The night before Thanksgiving I discovered that the can I thought was pumpkin was not in fact pumpkin. Well, it's classified as pumpkin but it's that pumpkin pie filling crap that tastes bleh. So we had to go get some pumpkin. Then on the day of Thanksgiving, I discovered that I had no more brown sugar with which to candy my yams with (this is a huge crisis, I cannot go through Thanksgiving without my candied yams!! and none of that marshmallow business!) so I made a run to Alberston's again. Speaking of yams, good lord did the Safeway have the biggest freaking yams this year. They had none that were smaller than the size of a football. Take a look!

Normally I can fit like 4 yams in this pan for my Black & Decker countertop oven, but this pan was absolutely refusing to accommodate my third yam. Good grief. At least they cooked up well:

A new addition to my table this year was another of my mother's recipies, the delicious cauliflower in cheese puff. She's made it for quite some time now but I never got the recipe. I had a friend who likes to try to introduce new side dishes at his Thanksgiving meals was asking me for a recipe and for some reason this one popped into my head. Man I am glad it did because it was super yummy!!


I did bake two pumpkin pies and I made cranberry sauce too but I didn't take pictures of either dish. I suppose I could fake it and go take a picture of the full pie that is still left but I don't feel like staging right now. I have company and I think they thought me weird enough for taking a picture of a dishcloth as it is (more on that in a bit).

Last but not least, there was the yummy turkey! It was 19.5 lbs. I think there are probably 15 lbs left I swear. (Ok, maybe not that many pounds but there is a good amount left on that bird still) Mmm. Stuffed to the hilt with my mom's bread stuffing recipe and slathered with olive oil and poultry seasoning. It came out delicious. (Apologies to the vegetarians that might wander on through, I'm not veggie so perhaps you can spend some extra time licking the monitor at the aforementioned cauliflower in cheese puff. It's awesome stuff, I swear. Even with the cauliflower. I'll email the recipe to whomever would like it. Just drop me a line at teenuh at pacbell dot net and I'll pass it on.) Anyways, without further ado, here's the turkey!


And here it all is in their starting positions. Please ignore the crafting supplies off to the side. We'll not be discussing my mess.

Here are my inlaws sitting on the sofa waiting to stuff themselves on dinner. They are visiting for a couple of days from Oregon.

I was kind of tense this week while I was playing my other addiction, World of Warcraft, so I started knitting the mid-month dishcloth from my KAL group. I knew there were bobbles involved in it and I've never done them so I wanted to give them a try. The cloth is a poinsetta and it is hugely long so I followed another knitter's instructions on how she turned her dishcloth into a towel. I'm pleased with the result:


I tried Photoshopping this one to adjust some of the brightness but it didn't totally fix the over exposure. Though it did a nice job of tinting my white satin tablecloth in a green hue. Now that's attractive. I was kind of wondering what to do with this one, I thought I did a good job on it but I didn't know who I would give this one to (or why) but when I flopped it down on the table for people to see, my mother-in-law thought I had given it to her. I was relieved at the pressure being relieved of what to do with it so I just went with it. I'd actually considered it but hadn't decided on it until she was all excited to get it. I think she was jealous that I'd given my father-in-law a dishcloth as his belated birthday present (he got the poppy cloth, I figured it was appropriate since he's a veteran). So it's made out of more Lion Cotton in the same pink that I used for the dress dishcloth. (I think it is Fuchsia but don't hold me to that. I'm feeling lazy and don't want to walk into the other room to get the label)

I did go out on Black Friday to shop. And shop I did. Ouch. Yarn stores with 30% discounts = evil. Mmm I hit two with my friend Cynthia, Purlescence Yarns in Sunnyvale (30% off from 6-7am) and Knitting Arts in Saratoga (30% off from 6:30-8:30am). I will post pics of my loot after the company has left and I don't have to point out directly how much I bought. ^_^

The only black spot in the past two days happened when my beloved Longhorns lost to the asshole Aggies. Man, I dislike them. This year was no different when late in the game, Colt McCoy was hit late in the 4th quarter by Kellen Heard. Thankfully Heard was ejected (and seemed pissed about being ejected, ass) but a couple of plays later Colt was out of the game for good after a hit by Michael Bennett (a low hit to his jaw, no penalty called but I'm trying to take the high road and not get too pissed about it). Sigh. Oh well, I still wore my beautiful Texas orange socks today. Hook 'em Horns. On to their next game. While I would be glad for them to get into the Big 12 championship game, I think it would be better for them to just get Colt healthy for a January 1 bowl game. Ok. Enough football talk for now. ;)

I hope y'all had a great Thanksgiving however you chose to spend it!!

No comments: